John Weedon is a litigator who focuses his practice in the defense of claims in the areas of casualty, including matters involving personal injury, automobile accidents, premises liability, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and neglect, product liability, negligent security and construction defect. John also defends property insurers throughout Florida in first party coverage matters. He handles all phases of the litigation process and has defended lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout Florida, South Carolina and nationwide for both local and national clients.
Prior to joining Pozo-Diaz & Pozo, he was a partner in the Jacksonville office of a national litigation firm. Previously he spent more than three years as an associate at a mid-size Charleston, South Carolina firm, where he began his legal career and clerked during law school. He also worked there as a paralegal prior to law school.
John is a member of the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys and the Defense Research Institute. He is also a member of the Jacksonville Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section Board of Governors, and he serves as the Chair for the Jacksonville Bar Association Sports League. Through the board, in addition to many other service projects, John is a participating mentor in the Jacksonville Bar Association’s mentoring project with Ribault High School, which has received recognition as the Service Project of the Year by the Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division. He also volunteers as a Director and General Counsel for the Housing Corporation of the Mu Chapter of Kappa Sigma Fraternity through his alma mater, Washington & Lee University.
John lives in his hometown of Jacksonville with his wife, two sons, daughter, and two four-legged sidekicks. When he is not working, he can be found enjoying the beaches and the outdoors with his family, barbecuing, and avidly supporting the Jaguars and the Gators as a season ticket holder for both teams.
Significant Representative Matters
- Obtained defense verdict for Greenville, South Carolina based surgeon and his practice in a medical malpractice action regarding surgical procedure which resulted in permanent injuries.
- Assisted in obtaining defense verdict for national manufacturer of boom tip trucks in product liability action in Scranton, Pennsylvania involving an electrocuted lineman with both arms amputated.
- Obtained summary judgment for national retail pharmacy in a premises liability action in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of a defamation lawsuit against a local publication in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Successfully represented City of Jacksonville Beach in administrative trial regarding violation of city ordinance by a local business establishment.
- Represents drivers on popular ride sharing application involved in auto accidents throughout North Florida.
Areas of Practice
- General Liability
- Automobile Liability
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability – Defense
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Litigation
- Product Liability
- Negligent Security
- Architectural, Engineering and Construction Defect Litigation
- Trucking & Transportation Liability
- Property Litigation
- Limehouse v. Hulsey, 2013 WL 3200608 (S.C. June 26, 2013)
- Winning at Mediation, Jacksonville Claims Association, March 27, 2018
- Law (Plaintiff) vs. Technology (Defendant), The Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, Jacksonville, Florida, March 2014
*Award for Best Program of the Year
- Barry University School of Law, Orlando, FL (J.D., 2007)
- Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA (B.S., 2003)
- South Carolina
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
Associations & Memberships
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys (2017 – present)
- Chester Bedell Inn of Court (2013 – present)
- Defense Research Institute, Retail and Hospital Steering Committee (2017 – present)
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section Board of Governors (2015 – present)
- South Carolina Bar Association (2007 – present)
- The Florida Bar (2010 – present)
Honors & Awards
- Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, Rising Star, 2016-2018
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®, 2014
- Chester Bedell Inn of Court, Best Program of the Year, 2014